North West Regional Hospital staff stood down after COVID-19 diagnosis

All up, 25 staff at the hospital were involved in the man's care.
All up, 25 staff at the hospital were involved in the man's care.

Two health care workers at the North West Regional Hospital have been stood down out of caution after a COVID-19 case was diagnosed at the facility on Tuesday.

A man from Northern Tasmania in his 60s tested positive for COVID-19 at the NWRH after he returned from receiving medical treatment in Victoria.

He had returned two negative tests while he was in hospital in Melbourne before he travelled via a medical transfer between the two states.

The man is in a stable condition.

Public Health director Mark Veitch said a total of 25 staff at the NWRH had been involved in the man's care.

"Two people when asked to reflect on their encounters with the man reported they may have touched their mask," Dr Veitch said.

"That doesn't constitute a particularly high risk but nevertheless the hospital made the decision out of an abundance of caution to furlough those staff for two weeks.

"The land and air ambulance staff have been contacted and they used sound PPE in the transfers.

"There are no family or community contacts who were exposed when this man was potentially infectious."

Dr Veitch said the man had significant medical issues for which he was receiving treatment in Melbourne.

He said there was no public interest in revealing which hospital the man was in during his time in Melbourne but said this was the likely source of his infection.

Premier Peter Gutwein backed the hospital's decision to stand down the workers.

He said almost 76,000 Tasmanians have now been tested for COVID-19.

This story Health workers stood down in precautionary move first appeared on The Advocate.